Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Look what I found

Its dated sometime in the year 2000.. I'm posting it here because I really love the movie and the coincidence is just too much. I like it, i like his thoughts and how his mind works...sigh.

A**** H****A***** (eluid@csv.warwick.ac.uk), a University Student in England, March 6, 2000, 5 out of 5 stars
Reworking The American Dream
We could perhaps argue that modern life, wherever it is situated, is seriously flawed. Flawed in the sense that our hopes and dreams are always sacrificed in the name of practicality. Thus our hopes and dreams always remain as they are - Mere hopes and dreams. October Sky is about not sacrificing those hopes and dreams in the name of reality and practicality and to aspire for something more. Hickam's journey, as difficult as it may seem, is a journey that we all make, albeit at our own pace and in our ways. His experience is first and foremost, human and his success is always coupled with failures. We have always been bombarded with the ideal of the American Dream, of its failings and limitations. October Sky reworks that dream and reminds us that all human dreams are inherently good, that in us lies the ability to become more than what we are. Hickam reminds us of this in his autobiography when he prevailed in making his hopes and dreams a reality, and to realise our greatest human potential - To learn and to achieve. As idealistic as the novel might seem, it is realistic in its presentation of the American Dream and the human experience. Hickam's sentimentality is not a flaw as some would perceive, he is merely retelling his story through his own eyes and heart. Finally, October Sky is about living and doing things. It is about learning and achieving, sometimes with the help of others, most of the time, alone. It is about the human capacity to change for the better. There's a bit of Hickam in all of us, and there's a bit of all of us in Hickam. Such is the power of the prose in October Sky, that we are all human, after all.
Hope and dreams are sacrificed in the name of practicality..well in my case I gave it all up for a new responsibility. I feel as though all my dreams were dashed by all the changes and this transition that I am going through. I might never find my way back. I feel stuck in a rut..I really do

No comments: